Have No Fear. VITA is Here!
UWest’s FREE Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Will Help You Survive Tax Time
We can all use a little help filling out tax forms. Some need it more than others that’s why UWest created the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) for low-income earners, people with disabilities, non-English speakers and those who need help filling out their forms. (Click here to see an article about our free program in Pasadena Now.) All our volunteers are trained in tax law and are certified by the IRS. We have been providing this free tax return service for more than six years.
To become a VITA Volunteer, please fill out the form below.
We speak: English, 中文, Español
You are eligible for our free service,
- If you make $54,000 or less OR
- If you are 60 years old or older AND you need help with your personal income taxes.
(Note: VITA only assists with the current year personal income taxes. We do NOT assist with small business returns or those who are self-employed.)
We are available at:
University of the West (ED Building)
1409 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770
Tel: (626) 571-8811 ext. 100
Our Hours are:
Monday: 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Before Your Appointment
You need to fill out the above intake form in advance and bring the following documents:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID,
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a social security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or,
- Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents,
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN,
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return,
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers,
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099),
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns (if available),
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check,
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s social security number or the provider’s business employer identification number) if appropriate,
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.