Student Resources

Student Accounts – 1098-T Tax Information

Students who are US Citizens or US Permanent Residents:

1098-T is an Annual Tuition Statement Form the university requires to report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) annually. What a Form 1098-T contains is a record of qualified tuition, related fees, and related education expenses within a tax year for each student who enrolled in credit courses and has a reportable transaction.

Exceptions: You will not receive a Form 1098-T if,

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student;
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships; and
  • Students for whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student’s employer or a government entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.
    It is important that your social security number and address are correct with our record.

Students who are Nonresident Aliens (Legal VISA holder – F1, H1, R1, etc.):

Request of Form 1098-T: Non-resident alien students will need to file a request to receive the 1098-T form. The 1098-T request form must be completed and send/fax to the Accounting Office no later than January 20.

Mailing Date:

The forms 1098-T will be mailed by January 31st of the following year to qualifying students’ addresses based on their student account information.


University of the West is not able to provide tax advice, please check the following links for further information on Form 1098-T and tax credits:

IRS Website:
Contact Info: Student Account at (626) 656-2105 x123 or