Student Resources

How to Obtain a Social Security Card

If you are hired to work on campus, you will need to apply for and receive a social security number before you can start working.

Where to apply

El Monte Social Security Administration Office
3380 Flair Dr., Suite #113
El Monte, CA 91731
(626) 288-1118

Two other local Social Security Administration Offices:
501 S. Vincent Ave.
West Covina, CA

900 S. Garfield Ave.
Alhambra, CA

For On-campus Employment

As an F-1 student, you will need to obtain a job offer letter from the UWest staff/administrator hiring you. Bring a copy of your work-study application form and the original job offer letter from your on-campus employer to International Student Advisor Leslie Bazzano, AD103. The letter from your employer must show a future employment start date (at least 2-3 weeks in the future). Jennifer will assist you in filling out the Social Security Card application form and provide you a DSO letter to take to Social Security Administration along with your employer’s letter and other relevant forms.

Once you have completed all required steps and forms, you can go to any Social Security Office. They do not make appointments, so be prepared to wait. Remember to take all your I-20s, passport, F-1 visa, I-94 print-out downloaded from www.cbp/i94, DSO letter, employer letter, and completed Social Security Card application form when you go.

Once you apply, you will be given a receipt. Once you receive your SSN card in the mail, bring it to the HR office. You may not begin work until you receive your SSN card in the mail.