The Student Success Center
Our Mission & Goals
The team at the Student Success Center believes that every student has the ability to achieve his or her academic goals. Our team is committed to providing a supportive, comfortable, confidential, and collaborative learning environment that promotes academic achievement and professional development. These services can be divided into three areas:
- Academic tutoring: to clarify student understanding of course-specific concepts and materials or to provide study skills, learning tools, or research strategies designed to foster academic success at the university level.
- Language: designed to assist students in the development of their understanding and application of the English language especially in the areas of reading, speaking, and academic writing.
- Multiliteracy: to support members of the university working on academic and/or professional writing, speaking, or multimedia projects or presentations throughout the creative process.
Tutors help individuals or small groups identify and work towards desired outcomes by providing access to tools that decrease academic anxiety and foster growth in student confidence and skill. The Center also periodically conducts workshops in areas such as academic writing, oral presentation skills, academic integrity, and study strategies. The Student Success Center is committed to cultivating relationships with other departments within the university to enhance writing across the curriculum efforts.
- To assist our users to develop the necessary tools and strategies they will need to succeed academically and professionally.
- To address the academic concerns of our users by interacting with them professionally and fostering open communication in a safe, confidential environment.
- To successfully prepare users to become self-directed learners.
Student Success Center Coordinator
Phone: (626) 677-3377
Fax: (626) 571-1413
ED231 & ED232
University of the West
1409 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Note: tutoring hours vary from day to day. Check out the online schedule for available tutoring appointments.
You can make an appointment with our tutors by visiting our scheduling page.