UWest disburses both federal and state student aid funds. UWest first uses the funds to pay for tuition, fees, room and board charges, and then any other costs associated with attendance. Students, who have a credit balance remaining on their student account, will receive a refund by check. Students who wish to have credit balances held in their student accounts must provide the Bursar’s Office with written authorization requesting this be done.
The Financial Aid office does not issue checks. Financial aid funds are disbursed by the Bursar’s Office.
- Pell Grant award amounts are based on the cost of attendance (COA), expected family contribution (EFC), and enrollment status. Once eligibility has been confirmed, these awards are disbursed after the end of the Add/Drop period each semester.
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)are based on financial need and available funding received by the institution from the Department of Education. Once eligibility is confirmed, these awards are disbursed after the end of the Add/Drop period each semester.
- Cal Grants are based on available state funding. Once eligibility is confirmed, these awards are disbursed at the beginning of each semester.
- Federal Direct Loans are disbursed after the end of the Add/Drop period each semester. Since loans are subject to origination fees, the amount received from the Department of Education will be slightly less than the total amount borrowed.
- A refund check will be processed within 14 days for students who have a credit balance on the student account after their funds are posted. Direct deposit is not available at this time. Refund checks may be picked up in the Bursar’s Office.
- Federal regulations require two (2) disbursements for all loans, including one semester loans. Students attending a single semester or summer term will receive their second disbursement at the calendar midpoint of the term.
- If a student is in the first year of undergraduate study and is a first-time Direct Loan borrower, there is a waiting period of thirty calendar days for the first loan disbursement.
- Students, who drop below half-time enrollment, are no longer eligible for a Direct Loans and/or Cal Grants.
- Loan and grant disbursements will not be released until the instructors have completed the attendance verification. The attendance verification must be completed, or the financial aid refund will be delayed.
- Students whose financial aid does not cover their student account balance, will be expected to pay the difference by the established due dates.
- Students are strongly advised to set aside sufficient funds at the beginning of each term to cover expenses such as books, room, meals, etc. while financial aid disbursements are processed.