University of the West – Office of the Registrar – Registration Deadlines and Academic Calendar Spring 2012
Please note: A late registration fee will be charged to returning students registering for Spring 2012 beginning 4:30 PM on Tuesday, January 17, 2012.
Spring 2011 Dates: 1/17/2012 – 5/12/2012
- January 3 – University Re-opens/Administrative Offices Re-open following Winter/Holiday closure
- TBA - English Placement Test (EPT) 9:30AM in ESL Department ED Building 3rd floor
- January 16 – University Closed – Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- January 17 – Spring 2012 Instruction Begins (including ESL)
- January 17 – Spring 2012 Late registration fee charge begins at 4:30 PM (for returning students)
- January 27 – Spring 2012 Last Day to Add/Drop Classes
- January 20 – University Closed at 12 PM – Chinese New Year’s Eve
- January 23 – University Closed – Chinese New Year
- February 20 – University Closed – President’s Day
- February 24 – Spring 2012 Last Day to Withdraw (“W”) from courses or submit a change of Grading System Form – Instructor and Dept. Chair signature required
- March 19-25 – Spring Break
- April 27 – University Closed - Buddha Day
- May 7-12 – Final Exam Week
- May 12 – End of Spring 2012 Semester
- May 12 - Commencement
- May 18 – Spring 2012 Grades Due (from instructors)
- May 28 – University Closed – Memorial Day
Undergraduate students may enroll in a maximum of 18 units per semester. Graduate students may enroll in a minimum of 9 units per semester (considered full-time). Students who wish to take more than the maximum number of units may submit a General Petition form to the Dean of Academic Affairs.
Students may enroll at UWest as:
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree Students (an undergraduate full-time load is 12 units or more, graduate full-time load is 9 units). International Students must always be registered in full-time status.
- Open Enrollment Students (student not officially admitted into a degree or certificate program).
- Auditors (Auditors do not receive academic credit and are not required to take tests or write papers).
- English as a Second Language Certificate Program (ESL) students taking at least 20 hours of instruction per week.
Student admission status must be clarified upon registration.
Returning Students: Any student who has previously taken courses at UWest is classified as a returning student. Returning students are encouraged to register for classes on-line, via the Student Portal (as long as the student has no holds or if the course does not require a pre-requisite that has not yet been met).
New Students: A student who has never taken courses at UWest or who has just been readmitted to the program is classified as a new student. New Open Enrollment Students must complete an Open Enrollment Application and submit it to the Office of Admissions upon registration.
All payments must be made upon registration. Students are encouraged to seek advisement prior to registration. Advisors in each department can assist students to select appropriate courses and planning a course of study. Please refer to each department for their individual office hours.
UWest Department/Contact Information – phone – 626-571-8811
- Business Administration: Dr. Bill Chen, Chair, Business Administration, extension 125
- Continuing Education: Dr. Bill Chen, Chair, Continuing Education Department, extension 125
- ESL Program: Oscar Martinez, Director of ESL, extension 113
- Psychology: Dr. Amy Demyan, extension 150
- Religious Studies: Dr. William Howe, Acting Chair, Religious Studies Department, extension 107
- Extended Studies: Glenn Dunki-Jacobs, Extended Studies Coordinator, extension 114