Federal Financial Aid (Title IV Programs)
For domestic students seeking Federal Financial Aid, a completed application includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Create your own Federal Student Aid PIN at www.pin.edu.gov if you do not have one.
- A completed and signed 2012-2013 University of the West Application for Financial Aid.
- A completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Application or Renewal FAFSA. (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/)
Students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA online as it allows the financial aid office to access your information in a matter of days. The 2012-2013 FAFSA instructs students to identify the college(s) they have selected to receive their financial aid information by name and also by code.
University of the West’s Title IV code is 036963
The FAFSA worksheet is available in the Form Center. The FAFSA worksheet will help you to prepare for the completion of the online application. Each student is responsible for updating his/ her address information with the FAFSA or FAFSA Renewal processor via the 2011-2012 Student Aid Report online, or by phone 1-800-433-3243 (the Federal Student Aid Information Center). If you need to make an address correction or add another school to the school list, please call 626-571-8811x122 or 138 right away.
- If selected for verification, student and/or parent need to choose to automatically transfer IRS income tax information into your FAFSA (IRS Data retrieval Tool)..
All students applying for 2012-2013 Federal Financial Aid must have a FAFSA on file in the Financial Aid Office by May 6, 2013 to be eligible for aid consideration. The last day to apply for Federal Financial Aid for the 2011-2012 academic year is May 6, 2013.
Institutional Financial Aid Programs
For students who wish to be considered for University Fellowships and Scholarships must submit the following:
- Completed and signed 2012-2013 UWest Financial Aid Application Form;
- A completed and signed 2012-2013 University of the West International Student Supplemental Application for financial aid. (International students only)
- A maximum one-thousand-word essay regarding applicant’s leadership experience, community service involvement and future plans; and
- References from previous direct supervisors from work or community leaders, or academic advisors/teachers. Two references are required for President’s Fellowship and Campus Life Leadership Fellowship; one reference is required for Dean’s Fellowship and Campus Life Assistance Fellowship. References must be original and completed on the UWest Fellowship and Scholarship Reference Form and provided in a sealed envelope signed by the referee.
* Items #2 and #3 are not required for UWest Scholarship and Lotus Scholarship.
Interview (required for Campus Life Fellowships only):
- After the application screening, selected candidates will be interviewed by a special committee of the university. The recommendation from the interview committee is important for the final award determination even though the interviewee is not guaranteed an award. Candidates selected for interview need to make himself/herself available in person or by telephone for the interview.
New students can submit the financial aid application when applying for admission
It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all documents are submitted on time. Applications submitted after the above-mentioned deadline will only be considered under exceptional circumstances if funds are still available.