Open Enrollment

If you are looking at this page, chances are you have realized that you might not get the classes you need at your current institution. If you are at this stage, you have three options: 1) Keep trying to get classes at your school, saving money but costing you months, if not years, of delays. 2) Take classes at an accredited private school, since they count toward your GE requirements and are transferable to UC/CSU schools and most private universities. 3) Not go to school at all. (Okay–let’s take option 3 off the table.)

Applicants to the Open Enrollment program must provide evidence of graduation from high school or its equivalent. Applicants who have not graduated from high school or its equivalent may qualify for admission by completion of academic work at a regionally accredited or state approved school with a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade average or by being over 18 years of age.

Open Enrollment is also for students who would like to audit classes. To audit a class means that you’ll be attending and participating in a class for a semester, but will not be receiving any grades.

How do I take classes at UWest without going through the whole admissions process?

UWest offers an easy way to get the courses you need to fulfill your General Education requirements.
Simply fill out our UWest online application and select “Open Enrollment.”  The application is free.

When you successfully complete your course(s) you will be able to order a transcript of your completed work.

How do I know UWest courses are transferrable?

One major determination of transferability is the type of accreditation held by a university. University of the West is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). This is the same regional agency that accredits University of California, Cal State, USC, Stanford, and other fine public and private institutions in California and Hawaii. This accreditation makes our classes easy to transfer.  That said, every university has their own requirements regarding transfer credit. We encourage students to check with the college they plan to attend to make sure the specific courses they plan to take will apply to their future degree.

Do I need to take a placement test for College Algebra?

University of the West will recognize your placement test results from your home school (community college or CSU). You must show your placement test results in order to enter a class with a prerequisite, such as College Algebra.

How do I apply for Open Enrollment?

  1. Fill out the UWest online application form and select “Open Enrollment.”
  2. Upload your unofficial transcripts through our online application portal.
  3. Also upload a copy of your government issued ID.

So the classes are easy to get, but how will I pay for them?

You have a couple of options for payment:

  1. Federal Financial Aid: If you qualify for Federal Financial Aid, you can add your “home school” to your FAFSA application. For more information about paying with federal aid, click here.
  2. Private student loan (see your home school’s office of financial aid for more information).
  3. Credit card or cash.

You should note that any Federal Financial Aid award dispersed to you will come through your “home school,” i.e. the community college or CSU where you are enrolled as a degree-seeking student or declared major.

Now that I know I can afford it, which courses should I choose?

For students seeking to fulfill the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) in order to transfer to another school, contact the Office of the Registrar.

Have additional questions?

Contact the Enrollment Office at
(855) 468-9378