Student Resources


ELI Registration FAQs

How do I choose my classes?

You will meet with your ESL teachers during the last week of the fall semester to select your spring classes.

Can I register online?

Online registration is not available for ESL students.

When do I register?

To maintain student status, ESL students must register for the spring semester during finals week, December 3 – 7, 2018.

What if I miss the registration deadline?

If you don’t register by December7 we will assume you do not plan on returning and may drop you from the program.

If you are on an F-1 visa, this means the university must also terminate your I-20.

If you change your mind and want to register after being dropped you will need to petition for reinstatement. If the petition is approved, you will need to pay the $50 late registration fee. This fee is in addition to the late payment fee that will be assessed by the Accounting Office if you do not make your payment on time.

I forgot to register on time but I want to take classes. What should I do?

See the ELI department staff for approval. Warning: you will be required to pay the $50 late registration fee

Warning: you will be required to pay the $50 late registration fee.

How do I maintain my F-1 status?

If you are on an F-1 visa you must:

  1. Take classes each fall and spring semester. You may also take classes in summer but you are not required to do so.
  2. Enroll full-time: 4 ESL classes (20 hours per week) or 4 BRIDGE classes (12 units)
  3. Meet the minimum GPA and attendance requirement for your program: 2.0 GPA and 80% attendance

Do I need to pay when I register for classes?

We encourage you to pay or make payment arrangements made as soon as you register. If you do not, be sure to pay by the Tuition Payment Deadline:  4:30 pm, Thursday, January 17, 2019.

If you do not pay on time you will be charged a $100 late payment fee.

I plan on applying for a degree program when I finish the ELI program. What should I do?

To enter a degree program, you need to do two things.

  1. Apply and be accepted to a degree program. Submit your application at the start of your final term in ELI (i.e. the term in which you are taking ENGL 100 courses). During your final term in ELI you may be eligible to take one or two degree courses while enrolled in 100- or 400-level bridge courses if so approved by the English department.
  2. Once accepted you may register for your degree courses as soon as grades are in showing that you have passed your bridge courses (100-level courses). Please note that acceptance to a degree program is contingent upon successful completion of bridge coursework.

I am thinking about taking this semester off. Is this a problem?

Submit a Leave of Absence/Withdrawal form before the last day of the fall semester. You will be withdrawn from your program as soon as grades are posted.

If you are an F-1 student, you are required to maintain full-time enrollment in both the fall and spring semesters. If you want to take the spring semester off be sure to meet with your International Student Services Advisor as regulations allow time off only for significant cause. If you take the spring semester off without first receiving approval from the International Students office, the university is required to terminate your I-20.

I don’t understand how to register. Who can help me?

You have resources! Professor Eddie Chong is always ready to help you with questions. You may also come see us in the Registrar’s Office, located in room AD 102, and we will be happy to help you with the process.