Student Resources

Leave of Absence, Withdrawal & Reentry or Readmission

Leaving college is a serious decision. You are urged to discuss your options with your advisor or the Dean of Academic Affairs before finalizing any plans to withdraw temporarily or permanently from the University. If you do choose to withdraw, you have the following options.

Leave of Absence (LOA)

  • This option is open to students in good standing who plan on returning to UWest within one year, and allows students to return under their initial catalog after a break of less than one year.
  • Summer is considered a standard period of non-attendance; students do NOT need to submit am LOA if not attending in summer as long as they are registering for the fall semester.
  • Students who do not return from an approved LOA as scheduled will be withdrawn effective their last period of attendance.
  • Federal regulations strictly limit leave for students attending on an F-1 Visa. The International Student Advisor must review all F-1 requests for LOA before processing.


  • This option is applicable to students who do not plan on returning to UWest.
  • Students withdrawing from the University are requested to complete an exit survey.

You may submit an LOA/Withdrawal request at any time.

  • If you submit your request prior to the first day of the term, you will not owe tuition or fees for that term, and your LOA/withdrawal will be considered effective the last day of the previous semester.
  • If you submit your request on or after the first day of the term you may receive a pro rata refund as described in the Academic Catalogue.  Your withdrawal will be effective the date the form was received by the Registrar’s office.
  • If you submit your request on or before the close of the posted add/drop period (see the Academic Calendar), you will be unregistered from all classes;
    if submitted on or before the withdrawal deadline, you will receive W’s in all classes scheduled;
    if submitted after this date, you will receive a grade of FW, which is calculated as an F in your grade point average.

To withdraw or go on leave, complete the LOA/Withdrawal form, obtain the following approvals, and submit the signed and approved form to the Registrar’s office.

Approvals needed for all students:

  • Department Chair or Advisor
  • Bursar’s Office
  • Library

Additional approvals as required:

  • Financial Aid – required for students who receive any financial aid such as loans, grants, scholarships. Students receiving aid must complete the Loan Exit Interview Form.
  • International Student Advisor – required for students who are attending on an F-1 Visa.
  • Student Life – required for students who reside on campus.

Re-entry or Readmission

When you return from LOA on schedule, you will be asked to submit a Re-entry Form. This allows all departments to reactivate your enrollment.

If you have been out of school for one year or more, or are returning late from a LOA, you must apply for Readmission to the University. You will be subject to the admission requirements in effect at the time of your return.

If you have been out of school for four years or more, you will be required to submit a new set of official transcripts and current admission examination scores with your application for readmission

If you have completed any coursework at other colleges during your break in enrollment, provide official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office prior to re-enrollment.

The Dean of Academic Affairs must approve a reentry request for any student not in good standing during the last period of enrollment.