International Student Services
ISS is here to help you make a smooth transition, both personally and academically, to attending university in the United States. We also keep you updated on US government regulations and requirements for international students and their dependents. Our goal is to make sure that you have the information and resources that you need to maintain your F-1 status and make the most out of your opportunities as an international student.
What we can help you with:
- Answering questions about your visa status
- Creating, transferring, updating your I-20
- Guiding through adversity
- Advising you on travel and providing travel signatures
- Providing information about F-1 student employment options
- Obtaining your driver license
- Writing verification letters
- Supporting your visa renewal and re-entry to the U.S.
What every F-1 student needs to know:
- Be aware of your status and know the facts.
- Study full-time. This means you must register in and attend a minimum of 12 units per semester as an undergraduate student, 9 units per semester as a graduate student, and 20 hours per week as an Intensive English Program student.
- Inform the International Student Advisor of your arrival and attendance at UWest.
- Never work off-campus without USCIS and DSO authorization.
- Keep the International Student Advisor and the Registrar’s Office informed of your latest address, email address and phone number.
- Attend the university or college whose name appears on the I-20.
International Student Advisor
The International Student Services Office is working remotely until fall semester. Until then, you can reach out to the International Student Advisor& DSO, via email, phone call and ZOOM.
For emergency assistance regarding your status as an F-1 student, please contact:
Chief Student Services Officer & PDSO Vanessa Karam