Getting a Driver’s License
When applying for a driver license, you must inform the DMV that you are an F-1 student. A social security number is not necessary for a driver license. You will need to bring these documents to the DMV:
- Your I-20 (which must be valid for at least the next 6 months)
- Your I-94 printout
- Your passport
- Make an appointment for the written test. You can take a practice test and make appointments online.
- The fee will be posted on the DMV website. Check the website to see what form of payment the DMV is currently accepting.
- After passing the written test, you will be given a temporary driver’s license. You have one more test to take. This is the behind-the-wheel test. DMV will give you this information and you have to return for a second test. This driving test is with an authorized DMV examiner who will be in the car with you to determine your safety and driving skills.
- Keep in mind that all drivers, International or American, must have liability insurance for their cars. It is required by law.
- Visit your International Student Services office (AD103) if you have questions or need help.