Student Resources

F-1 Student Agreement: Guidelines for Staying in F-1 Status

While you are studying in the United States as F-1 students, it is essential to understand how to stay in status. Here are some guidelines, and students can always contact their DSO in AD 103 with any questions or concerns.

First, when should you contact your DSO?

Please contact the International Student Advisor as soon as...
  1. You change your address.
  2. You change your status.
  3. You lose or misplace your I-20 or I-94.
  4. Your program of study changes.
  5. Your financial information changes.
  6. Your program end date is approaching.
Please contact the International Student Advisor before you…
  1. Reduce the number of hours/units you are taking.
  2. Accept any employment. (Just because an employer lets you work, does not mean it is legal.)
  3. Leave the US.
  4. Return to the US late (after the first day of the semester).
  5. Transfer to another school.
Always contact your International Student Advisor before you leave the US (including Canada and Mexico, and cruises).
  1. She’ll sign page 2 of your I-20, for re-entry to the US.
  2. Check your I-20, Passport and F-1 Visa to make sure everything is up-to-date. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months.
  3. Write a letter for you if you are renewing your Visa or traveling during the semester.
  4. Write a letter for you if you are applying for a visa to another
The International Student Advisor also helps you with documents for…
  1. Verification of Enrollment for Visa Renewal and Re-Entry in the US.
  2. Driver License (check with the DMV first at
  3. Social Security card application.
  4. OPT applications.
  5. Invitation letters for family members in order to get their travel Visas.