|Administration Building, Room AD102
University of the West
1409 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770
|(626) 571-8811 x2119
(626) 571-1413 fax
UWest hosts Commencement each year on the last Saturday of the Spring term, celebrating our degree graduates during the academic year.
All graduating students are required to submit a Petition to Graduate when they register for their final term. You are asked to give us a preliminary idea of whether or not you plan to participate in Commencement by checking that box on the petition. When spring semester opens you reserve your space in Commencement by submitting a Commencement Confirmation. This confirmation form is used to place the student regalia order so if you wish to participate, do not forget to submit on or before the posted deadline.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
You are eligible to participate in Commencement if you graduated or are graduating with a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree during the academic year in which the ceremony is held.
If you are a graduate student, you must successfully complete any required comprehensive exam, thesis, capstone, or defense at least two weeks prior to the ceremony.
You may request approval to participate if you are scheduling your final courses in summer or fall immediately following the ceremony.
You are eligible if at the time of the ceremony you will have no more than the following requirements remaining:
- Bachelor’s degree students: 9 units
- Master’s degree students: 6 units
- You pass any required comprehensive exam, thesis, capstone, or defense at least two weeks prior to the ceremony (graduate students)
To request early participation, submit your Petition to Graduate to the Registrar’s Office no later than the first day of the spring semester, and submit a Commencement Confirmation form.
CEREMONY: 5 pm, Saturday, May 20, 2023
1409 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770
GUESTS: 6 guests per participating graduate
- Tickets are not required, but students are asked to limit invitations to no more than 6 guests, including children. Seating in the auditorium is limited.
- Auditorium opens at 4:30 for guest seating.
- Live Stream: Family and friends who cannot attend may view the ceremony live on Zoom. Access details will be posted on this webpage a week prior to the ceremony. The ceremony is also videotaped, and the video will be posted to this website following the ceremony.
COMMENCEMENT DAY SCHEDULE – Saturday, May 20, 2023
1:30 pm Student Check In Auditorium
1:30-3 pm Rehearsal Auditorium
3-4 pm Individual Photos Patio Behind ED
4:30 pm Group Photo ED Steps
4:30 pm Auditorium Opens for Guest Seating
4:40 pm Ceremony Line Up Students: Patio Behind AD
4:45 pm Platform Party/Faculty: AD Hallway
5 pm Ceremony Begins
6:30 Ceremony Ends (approximate)
6:30 Reception Founder’s Courtyard
Immediately following ceremony
Light refreshments served
REGALIA: Caps and gowns have been ordered for students who submitted a Commencement Confirmation.
- Graduation and Commencement fees must be paid prior to release of regalia.
- Estimated arrival: 2 weeks prior to the ceremony. Students will receive an email as soon as regalia is ready for pick-up.
- Only regalia provided by the university specifically for this event may be worn.
- Exception: Students may wear decorative stoles or leis if desired. The university does not provide stoles or leis.
- Honor cords are issued by the university based on student achievement and/or service. Cords are distributed when students check in on commencement day. No other cords are allowed.
- Regalia is purchased, not rented, and does not need to be returned.
- Caps and gowns are made from recycled materials, to reduce impact on the environment.
CAPS: Students may personalize their caps. Student Life hosts a cap decorating event in the days leading up to the ceremony, and provides supplies and snacks. Details are released approximately two weeks prior to the event.
REHEARSAL: Rehearsal is mandatory. Participants must bring regalia, as photos are taken immediately following rehearsal.
DIPLOMAS: Students will receive their diploma cover during the ceremony, but actual diplomas are NOT distributed at Commencement. The university distributes diplomas every term, approximately 8 weeks following the end of the term, rather than holding them to release once a year. Spring graduates will be notified when diplomas are ready for release. Summer and fall graduates should have already picked up their diplomas.
COVID GUIDELINES: At a minimum, UWest will comply with county and state COVID guidelines in place on commencement day. Requirements beyond county guidelines may be in place if considered appropriate. We do not anticipate any restrictions this year, but will notify participants in advance if restrictions are necessary.
QUESTIONS? Contact Registrar@uwest.edu