International Student Health Insurance

Life Comes at You Fast

Medical care in the U.S. is significantly more expensive than in many other countries.  To safeguard UWest’s F-1 students and to make sure that they have adequate coverage in the event of serious illness or injury, UWest has sought out a health insurance plan that provides students with excellent medical coverage. The university has contracted with Academic Health Plans (AHP) and UnitedHealthcare StudentResources to offer our international students reliable, responsible and affordable quality health insurance.

All F-1 students are required to maintain this coverage for the duration of their studies, including periods of non-attendance such as summer and winter break.

This insurance is mandatory.  F-1 students are advised not to purchase insurance in their home country or from another source as many insurances do not provide adequate coverage and require prepayment from the student’s own pocket as well as a lengthy reimbursement process. UWest will not accept other insurance plans. 

F-1 students are responsible for registering for this insurance and making payment to the insurance company. The university emails all F-1 students the registration information in advance of each semester. Registration is monitored by the university, and failure to enroll in the insurance can lead to registration holds and even cancelation of registration.
Coverage includes winter, spring, and summer breaks. (Note that this is medical insurance coverage and does not include dental care.) Students can also opt to purchase coverage for their spouses and children on F-2 visas.

For questions, please contact

Fall 2024 Fall semester & winter break (5 months) $710.10
Spring 2025 – Continuing students Spring semester, summer sessions/summer break (7 months) $983.90
Spring 2025 – Graduating students Spring semester (5 months)
Applicable only to students completing their program in the spring semester
Summer 2025 – Session 1 Summer Session 1 (3 months)
New students only
(Summer included in Spring plan for continuing students)
Summer 2025 – Session 2 Summer Session 2 (2 months)
New students only
(Summer included in Spring plan for continuing students)


relation insurance logo

Important F-1 Student Health Insurance Information

Below are brief highlights of the plan benefits. For more information, please consult the Plan Certificate. For questions about medical benefits or claims, please call Relation Insurance Services at (877) 246-6997.


Your Insurance ID Card

Once you are enrolled, register online to download your insurance ID card at». If you need medical treatment before you receive notice that your ID card is active, please contact Relation Insurance Services at (800) 537-1777. If you go to a doctor’s office, urgent care center, hospital, or pharmacy, you will be asked for your Insurance ID Card. Carry your insurance ID card with you at all times. You will need your card when you visit the physician’s office, urgent care, or hospital.


How to Enroll

You are automatically enrolled through your school; no action is needed to enroll yourself in the plan. To enroll your dependents, visit to download an enrollment form to pay by credit card, check or money order. Your dependents (spouse, domestic partner, or children under the age of 25) must be enrolled before the start of the term or within 31 days of marriage, birth, adoption, or arrival in the U.S. For questions about enrollment, contact Relation Insurance Services at (800) 537-1777 (Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time).


What You Will Pay

The first charges must be incurred within 30 days from the date of the covered accident or sickness.

  • The cost of the insurance charge
  • There is no deductible per Policy Year
  • There are no copays for medical treatments at an in-network physician’s office or urgent care center
  • $100 copay/deductible when you visit the emergency room (waived if admitted to the hospital)
  • 20% coinsurance when you visit an out-of-network pharmacy. If you do not use an in-network pharmacy, you will need to pay in full, then send a claim for reimbursement
  • Expenses in excess of usual and customary charges if you do not use an in-network provider
  • Full amount for any services not covered by insurance (see exclusions and limitations in the Plan Certificate)


Where to Access Care

If you experience a sickness or an injury, here are the places you should go to access care. Each option is discussed in detail on the following pages.

  • Doctor’s office, for medical concerns and sick visits
  • Urgent care center, for illness or injuries when your doctor’s office is closed
  • Hospital, for scheduled surgery or a medical emergency only


What Does “In-Network” Mean and Why Does It Matter?

In-network means providers such as physicians, specialists, and hospitals that accept this insurance plan. Note: Sometimes it is also called “PPO” or “Preferred” network. The network for this plan is Aetna Passport to Healthcare® Primary PPO.

If you use an in-network provider, covered medical services are paid by the insurance company at 100% of the Preferred Allowance. If you use an out-of-network provider, meaning a provider who is not in-network, covered medical expenses are paid at 80% of Usual, Reasonable, and Customary Charges.

To find an in-network provider:

  • Visit
  • Enter your location and range, then click “Search.”
  • Select the Passport to Healthcare® Primary PPO, then click “Continue.”
  • Type the name, specialty, or type of provider you’re looking for into the search bar, or click the corresponding category.
  • Select a provider from the list, and call to make an appointment.


Always check with the physician or medical facility directly to confirm that they accept Aetna Passport to Healthcare® Primary PPO Network before you receive treatment.

It is best to locate an in-network physician, urgent care center, and emergency room near you before you get sick.


What is Covered

$500,000 per injury or sickness

Most physician visits and hospital charges, paid at 100% of Preferred Allowance when you use an in-network provider; or 80% of Usual, Reasonable, and Customary Charges when you use an out-of-network provider

  • Emergency expenses
  • Surgery, in- and out-patient
  • Physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture
  • Tests, procedures, and laboratory services, such as X-rays
  • Prescription drugs

Limitations and exclusions may apply. Please see the Plan Summary at 4StudentHealt for more details regarding benefits, terms, conditions, and exclusions of the insurance plan as underwritten by Allied World Assurance Company, Ltd.

If there are any discrepancies between this document and the Policy, the Policy will govern.


Doctor Visits

When you have a health care need, such as a sickness, injury, or other medical concern, schedule an appointment to see a physician.

  • Use an in-network physician whenever possible. Note: You are not required to see in-network physicians; however, if you choose to see a physician who is not an in-network provider, you will have to pay 20% coinsurance and for expenses in excess of usual and customary charges.
  • Call the physician’s office to make an appointment. Tell them you have Aetna Passport to Healthcare® Primary PPO insurance.
  • Arrive 15 minutes early for your appointment.
  • Bring your insurance ID card with you.

Every visit to a health care professional, whether at the physician’s office, emergency room, urgent care center, etc., is treated confidentially. NO information will be released without your express written consent.


Urgent Care

Do not go to the hospital for minor illnesses or injuries! If you need to see a physician immediately and cannot wait for a scheduled appointment, please go to an urgent care center. Hospital emergency rooms typically charge 2-3 times more than a physician’s office or urgent care center. Use an urgent care center instead of an emergency room to save time and money.

Here are some in-network urgent care centers close to campus:

Concentra Health Services, Inc.
9350 Flair Drive, Suite 102
El Monte, CA 91731
(866) 944-6046

Immediate Care Center
2601 Via Campo
Montebello, CA 90640
(323) 720-1144

Urgent Care Center Montebello
2205 West Beverly Boulevard
Montebello, CA 90640
(562) 967-2780


Hospital Emergency Room

In the case of a life-threatening emergency, call 911 for an ambulance or go to the nearest hospital emergency room (ER).

Examples of life-threatening emergencies:

  • Car accident
  • Severe pain or excessive bleeding (especially from the head)
  • Heart attack
  • Higher fever or rash after surgery
  • Broken bones
  • Coughing up blood
  • Signs of miscarriage


These are only a few examples of emergency medical conditions. These examples do not constitute medical advice. Please contact a medical professional if you have questions about any medical condition.


Getting Medication

If your physician prescribes a medication, you should fill it at an Express Scripts in-network pharmacy, including CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, and Walmart. To locate an in-network pharmacy, visit or call (800) 447-9638.

ALWAYS ask for the generic form of the drug, if available; this will decrease the cost.

If you do not use an in-network pharmacy, you will need to pay in full and then send a claim for reimbursement.

Download a prescription claim form at under Pharmacy in the USE YOUR INSURANCE section.

Send all receipts with the completed claim form to the address on the form. You will be reimbursed 80% of actual charges of the drug. Make copies of all receipts for your records before you mail them.



After your visit, an in-network physician or provider will send a bill to the claims administrator, Relation Insurance Services.

If the medical provider does not file a claim on your behalf, you will need to submit a claim for reimbursement. Follow these steps:

  • Download a claim form and fill it out completely. Claim forms are available at under Claims in the USE YOUR INSURANCE section.
  • Include your member number (as shown on your ID card) on the claim form. Attach itemized bills for X-rays, laboratory charges, etc.
  • Send your claim form and all bills pertaining to this claim to Relation at the address below. Try to have all itemized bills attached to the same claim form.

The address and fax number to submit claims information are as follows:

Relation Insurance Services
P.O. Box 25936
Overland Park, KS 66225
Fax: (913) 327-7520

  • Fill out the form completely so your claim will be processed promptly.
  • Keep copies of all the documents you submit for claims.

To check the status of a claim you submitted, call Relation at (877) 246-6997.


Optional Practical Training

You are still eligible for the insurance coverage offered through your school, but you must contact Relation at (800) 537-1777 to obtain an enrollment form. In addition, students who are on Optional Practical Training must provide a Verification of Practical Training Letter to be eligible for this insurance coverage and must purchase OPT coverage within 30 days of the expiration date of their prior coverage.


What if I’m outside of California or the U.S. and need medical treatment?

Any treatment received outside California is covered at 100% in-network and 80% out-of-network, after the copays. The copays cannot be waived.

Treatment received outside the U.S. is covered at 80% after the copays. The copays cannot be waived.

All medical bills, receipts, and other information should be sent to the claims department address.


Any Questions please contact:

Eddie Escalante

Phone: (626) 677-3317 x317