In honor of two national days of recognition this week, Stress Awareness and Donuts, Wellness Center is offering donuts on Wednesday, November 3rd. Come by ED217 after 1pm to get your sugar rush, while supplies last, and log into Zoom at 6pm PDT for stress management strategizing & relaxing. (Link: https://zoom.us/j/94618041316?pwd=a1h0aUJacGZKQkpKRWc0QUN6OGFLQT09)
Stress is part of everyone’s experience. And it isn’t always bad. Stress can help motivate you to get things done. However, if the stress is interfering with home, school or work, or if you feel down or anxious for more than a few weeks, talk to your doctor or consult with UWest’s Wellness Center. Don’t suffer alone, professionals have strategies that can help.
There are also actions you can learn to manage stress before it gets to be too much, here are just a few:
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
- Assert your feelings, opinions, or beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- Learn to manage your time more effectively.
- Set limits by saying no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life.
- Make time for hobbies and interests.
- Don’t consume intoxicants or engage in compulsive behaviors to reduce stress.
- Respond to & seek out social support.
A friendly reminder: students can receive individual private counseling sessions with Wellness Center. Finals will be here before we know it so it is a great time to contact them to schedule some sessions ahead of the crowd! Just send an email email@example.com to inquire about services or to make an appointment.