1098-T Tax Information

Office of Student Accounts
(626) 656-8811 x 2123
(626) 656-2105 fax

Office Hours

10 AM – 5 PM


Students who are US Citizens or US Permanent Residents:

1098-T is an Annual Tuition Statement Form the university requires to report to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) annually. What a Form 1098-T contains is a record of qualified tuition, related fees, and related education expenses within a tax year for each student who enrolled in credit courses and has a reportable transaction.

Exceptions: You will not receive a Form 1098-T if,

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student;
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships; and
  • Students for whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student’s employer or a government entity, such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense.

It is important that your social security number and address are correct with our record.


Students who are Nonresident Aliens (Legal VISA holder – F1, H1, R1, etc.):

Request of Form 1098-T: Non-resident alien students will need to file a request to receive the 1098-T form. The 1098-T request form must be completed and send/fax to the Accounting Office no later than January 20.

Mailing Date:

The forms 1098-T will be mailed by January 31st of the following year to qualifying students’ addresses based on their student account information.



In previous years, your 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) we billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we will report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year.

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970», page 9.)

The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

University of the West is unable to provide you with individual tax advice, but should you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser.

For more information about Form 1098-T, visit https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1098t.pdf».



University of the West is not able to provide tax advice, please check the following links for further information on Form 1098-T and tax credits:

IRS Website: www.irs.gov»
Contact Info: Student Account at (626) 656-2105 x2123 or jennyb@uwest.edu