Rights & Responsibilities

Lezli Fang
Director of Financial Aid
Yanela Morgan
Financial Aid Officer


Go to Student AccountsContact Financial Aid

Student Responsibilities

  • You must be officially accepted into a degree-seeking program at UWest and make satisfactory academic progress toward that degree objective.
  • You must report any additional resources and/or changes. Such changes include, but are not limited to, additional financial resources such as Veteran’s educational benefits; scholarships; stipends; graduate teaching assistantships; fee waivers; vocational rehabilitation payments; residence hall assistantships; or changes in enrollment, housing plans and/or residency.
  • You must be enrolled in and earn the minimum number of credits required by your enrollment/funding status each semester and must maintain “satisfactory academic progress” as defined for all applicants and recipients of aid.
  • You must meet all published deadlines.
  • You must activate your UWest e-mail address and use your official e-mail address to receive important financial aid notifications and information.
  • You should change your address via the Registrar’s Office immediately anytime you have an address change.
  • You should notify our office in writing if you will not be attending.
  • You should officially withdraw if you must leave UWest for any reason. Contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information.
  • If you are a student loan borrower who is graduating, transferring to another college, or dropping below half time, you must participate in exit counseling. This can be completed at www.studentaid.gov/exit-counseling »
  • You must read the UWest Financial Aid handbook and all other financial aid and scholarship information that you may receive. If you have questions or do not understand what is required of you, advisors are available to assist you.

    Student Expectations

    • You may request an appointment with a financial aid advisor to discuss any questions or concerns you have regarding your financial aid.
    • If you have unusual circumstances that you feel may impact your ability to contribute, you may contact your financial aid advisor for further information. Unusual circumstances could include loss of a benefit or non-taxable income, separation/divorce, death of a parent/spouse, or economic hardship such as elementary/secondary school tuition for your children, major medical/dental expenses not covered by insurance or natural disaster. Documentation is required.
    • If an independent student or parent(s) of a dependent student has a substantial reduction in taxable income/ benefits, the student may contact our office regarding the reevaluation process.
    • You will be notified by mail about your eligibility and if changes are made to your award letter during the year.
    • You may reduce the amount or decline any program on the award letter.
    • You should speak with staff to review the options and consequences of your dropping credits or withdrawing from UWest prior to making a final decision.
    • You can expect to be treated courteously and with civility; the staff expects that in return.
    • All information is held in confidence. The Family Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) restricts our office from releasing confidential information to anyone without proper identification and only to the student or the parent on record of a dependent student.

    You can expect phone calls to be returned within 24-48 hours (expect during peak processing periods). 

    Students should come to campus with enough funds to pay for books/supplies, incidentals, and initial living expenses. Be prepared!