After-Admission Checklist

International Students


You have been admitted to University of the West. We are looking forward to meeting you and helping you succeed at UWest. Please read the steps to take next as you prepare for your first year.

But wait! First, please show us your UWest pride by taking a selfie with your acceptance letter and tagging it with #UWESTBOUND on Facebook or Instagram. Just tag us!

Accept Your Offer

After you receive your acceptance package, you need to take the following steps to officially accept and secure your space in your academic program.

  • Submit the Intent to Enroll form to Admissions Specialist, Ms. Henna Hung, at If you have any additional documents that require your signature, fill those out as well.
  • Pay the non-refundable enrollment deposit of $250. This deposit will be fully applied toward your first-semester tuition and fees.
    Pay Your Enrollment Deposit »
Apply for Scholarships

Although the US government expects international students to be able to meet their educational costs, UWest offers merit scholarships to select international students who show outstanding academic and personal achievement. We invite you to click on the links below or contact the Financial Aid Office at for more information about scholarships.


Complete Placement Tests
(if applicable)

Incoming undergraduate students need to take UWest’s Math Placement Test (MPT) and the Writing Placement Test (WPT). These tests are not admission tests; they are used by UWest to place students in the appropriate General Education math and writing courses. You will receive instructions on how to complete the placement tests once you submit your Intent to Enroll.

(Note: This testing requirement may be waived if you are transferring in credit for the equivalent math and/or composition courses. Once your transfer credit evaluation is complete, you will be informed of your testing and other requirements.)

How to Register for Classes

We will email you a Welcome Letter once you submit your Intent to Enroll. The Welcome Letter includes further details on class advisement and registration, new student orientation, placement testing, and log-in information for your UWest email and Moodle accounts (UWest’s learning management system).

Apply for Housing

Do you plan to live on campus? If so, please visit the link below to start your application and reserve your space now!

Before your arrival, email UWest’s Residential Life Coordinator, Mr. Juan Carlos Cabrera, at with your arrival day and a rough estimate of what time you will be arriving on campus. Once you arrive on campus, you will have to call the Resident Assistant on duty (626) 673-0339 to check in, receive your key, etc. If you do not have a phone, you will need to let the Residential Life Coordinator know in advance, and they will make the appropriate arrangements for you.


Mark Your Calendar for UDays

New student orientation, called UDays at UWest, is designed to give our new students an introduction to the campus culture and resources and to help you with the transition to college life. All new students are REQUIRED to complete an online UDays orientation before arriving at UWest as well as attend in-person orientation (UDays Live), which takes place on campus the week before instruction begins. You will receive further details about UDays and UDays Live once you submit your Intent to Enroll form.


Submit Final Transcript

Send us your final transcript after you graduate, or for transfer students, after you complete your last semester at your previous school. Future class registration may be impacted if your final transcripts are not received prior to the start of your first term at UWest. Please note that you are required to submit transcripts from all institutions of higher education you have previously attended.

Your school administrator may send your transcript electronically through PARCHMENT» electronically. Or, mail your official transcripts to this address:

University of the West
Office of Admissions
1409 Walnut Grove Ave.
Rosemead, CA 91770

Apply for the F-1 Visa

After you have been admitted to University of the West and have provided proof of your sufficient financial resources, you will receive an I-20 form. The I-20 is required when applying for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate and for entry into the United States. This I-20 is created in a government database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and is proof that your record is in the SEVIS system, that you have been admitted to UWest as an international student, and that you are eligible to apply for an F-1 visa. The I-20 form includes your SEVIS ID number, which is the number in the upper corner above the bar code (usually starting with N). Thoroughly review your I-20 to make sure all of the information is correct. Remember to sign the form at the bottom of page 1.

All new students coming in F-1 visa status must pay a one-time SEVIS fee prior to applying for their visa, and must submit the SEVIS fee receipt as part of their application. You can make your payment at FMJFEE.COM ».


If you have any questions regarding the F-1 visa or I-20, contact International Student Advisor, Ms. Janira Cordova, at

When to Arrive

You may enter the U.S. in initial I-20 status (meaning you are a new international student, not a SEVIS transfer student) a maximum of 30 days before» the program start date on your I-20.

You may be able to receive permission to arrive late (after your program start date) if you encounter an emergency situation and your travel to the U.S. is slightly delayed.

If you have any questions regarding the F-1 visa or I-20, contact International Student Advisor, Ms. Janira Cordova, at

Travel Arrangement
(currently studying in the U.S. only)

If you are currently in active F-1 status at another institution in the U.S., you may be able to transfer your SEVIS record (I-20) from your current school to UWest. The DSO at your current school confirms whether and when you are eligible to transfer in active status by completing UWest’s Transfer Release form. Please return this form to Admissions Specialist, Ms. Henna Hung, at

If you have any other questions regarding the F-1 visa or I-20, contact International Student Advisor, Ms. Janira Cordova, at


Pay for Tuition Fees

You must complete and receive confirmation of your registration from the Registrar’s Office so that your payment can be posted to your student account. If you do not see your payment posted to your student account, please contact the Accountant, Ms. Jenny Bui, at (Pay attention to payment deadlines, as late payment fines and interest will be added to your account if payment is not received in time.)


Follow UWest on Social Media

Facebook Logo Instagram Logo

Schedule Campus Tour
If you’ve never been to our beautiful 11-acre campus, you should check it out! We can schedule a tour for you, your family, and friends.